UK companies frequently engage the services of sea freight forwarders when expanding into foreign markets. Using an international freight forwarder allows you to focus on your core competencies while outsourcing logistics and supply chain management.
How do you know if a UK sea freight forwarding company is worth your time and money? Learn how to make the right decision for your company in the following paragraphs.
What Is The Role Of A Sea Freight Forwarder?
A sea freight forwarder is responsible for overseeing the shipping of goods via carrier ships. As well as being efficient and traditional, it’s also often the most affordable way to transport cargo.
How Goods Are Transported?
Sea freight can be transported in the following ways:
- As in “full container load”. Using this option, one or more full containers can be purchased for shipment.
- The term “less than container load”. If you don’t have a full container’s worth of goods, your products will be transferred to another container. Once they arrive at their destination, the contents will be divided.
- Using the “roll-on, roll-off” method. During shipping, the products remain in the same vehicle and will leave on the same vehicle when they reach their destination.
- The term “dry bulk shipping” describes items that are deposited in the hold of the ship instead of travelling in containers.
Do Sea Freights Have Advantages Or Disadvantages?
These factors should be taken into account before picking a sea freight UK forwarder:
- It is more cost-effective than other methods of transporting project cargo.
- Using this setup, large and heavy products can be easily handled.
- Due to its high carbon efficiency, it is environmentally friendly.
Here are a few more points to keep in mind:
- When moving a load internationally, it’s the slowest option. As a result, your plans need to take the time taken into consideration.
- Smaller amounts of goods are not cost-effective with this method.
What To Look For In A UK-Based Sea Freight Company?
Consider developing a long-term business relationship with the sea freight company you choose for your business. It is therefore essential to pick a company that you feel can fulfil your requirements and will do a good job delivering your goods internationally from the UK.
Are They Capable Of Meeting Your Needs?
Find out which sea freight UK forwarding company best meets your requirements by researching them. It is best to choose a company that offers cutting-edge services, including real-time tracking of shipment progress. You should have access to the information you need at all times through the forwarder. The majority of modern sea freight companies offer an online tracking system that can be accessed by logging in. You can also access shipment arrival dates and proof of delivery to clients through this method.
Having Experience And Credibility
Find out how much experience the freight forwarding company has working with companies in your industry after you’ve found a few that seem promising. Is the company active in your country of business? How long has the forwarding company been in business and how successful have they been? If you can answer these questions satisfactorily, you are more likely to build a long-term business relationship.
Make sure they are responsive, knowledgeable, and care for their customers before committing. Which company has the best customer service track record? When you have a problem or question about a shipment, you need assurance that you will receive quick and effective support.
What Is The Cost Of These Services?
It may be tempting to choose a forwarder based in the UK offering the lowest rates for sea freight. In the long run, it won’t be the best decision if the service isn’t great. The idea of saving money upfront may seem appealing at first. You could, however, end up paying more, experiencing delivery delays, and dealing with unhelpful customer service as a result of the saving.
To be on the safe side, look for a forwarding company that offers the services you require at competitive rates.
Choosing A Sea Freight Forwarder That Fits Your Needs
If you’re looking for a UK sea freight forwarder, make sure you do your due diligence and consider your options before committing. To begin with, make sure they offer the kind of sea freight service you require. The second thing you should look for is a company that has a proven track record and testimonials proving its credibility.
Last but not least, avoid the cheapest deals to avoid paying in other ways that could jeopardise your reputation if you choose them.